About Me

My photo
I was born in Northern Ireland, live in Australia, and am a composer, conductor and actor. I am Head of Composition and Production at The Australian Institute of Music and Musical Director of the Sydney Male Choir. I've been Visiting Composer at Universities and schools and my music has been performed in Australia, the USA, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, China, Italy, Ireland, Taiwan, Argentina, Mexico and Puerto Rico by many international concert artists and ensembles. My compositional interests include music for orchestra, the theatre (including dance), the voice and the church, the combination of electro-acoustic and acoustic resources especially in real time, the exploration of virtuosity and indigenous Australian music. I've conducted in festivals and concerts all over the world, as well as acted in too many professional theatre works to list here.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A second chance

It's been a long time since I blogged. It just hasn't seemed like I had anything to say. I think it's time gave blogging a second chance though, because right now I feel that I've been given one over the last six-to-eight months.

Soooooooo here I go again. I'm not going to use this as a platform for what to say or even my opinions of other people. This will be only about music - mostly mine, and anyone else's which happens to take my fancy.

It's the most interesting thing I can think of - far more so than the minutiae of my daily life, or my musings on events and things about which I know precious little. For heavens sake, I know little enough about music and that's supposed to be what I'm best at!

Also, because I'm a cheapskate, this can do double duty as my website :))


4 comments:

  1. Hey Houston - A quote from Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch:

    "Wherever you are - there you go..." Silly, but kinda profound...

    2 Major projects out of the way for me this year and at last I can concentrate fully on my honours stuff.

    Just need the self-discipline to get there!

    In Music - John Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, John.

    Great to hear from you!

    Get cranking on that self-discipline thing, man - it's the only way. After all, we don't do this for the money, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder what people mean by "it pays good money". This implies there's such a thing as "bad money". Surely not???

    ReplyDelete